A’s reporter thinks ‘100% of the blame goes to the Oakland Athletics’ for relocation
Nov 16, 2023, 2:08 PM | Updated: 3:10 pm
(Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Ben Ross, who covered the Oakland Athletics on various platforms for years, joined Stiles & Watkins to discuss the latest saga in the Athletics relocation to Las Vegas.
Early Thursday morning, MLB owners unanimously passed a vote approving the relocation. The trio discussed how much closer this makes the deal to being finalized and if there’s any hope of the Athletics remaining in Oakland. Don’t get your hopes up, but some details remain cloudy regarding the move.
Ross shared that there are minimal plans in place for construction in Las Vegas, and the city itself is fighting against it with their “Schools Over Stadiums” lawsuit attempting to halt funding.
During the conversation, Ross was blunt in where he placed the blame for this entire process. “I’m not afraid to say that I think 100% of the blame goes to the Oakland Athletics, to the team,” he said.
“And I’m also not afraid to say that I don’t believe a word that John Fischer says, and I think anyone who’s been paying attention shouldn’t believe a word that comes out of his mouth. Same thing, at this point, goes for Rob Manfred and the MLB.”
Other topics discussed include:
- Where will the Athletics play in the upcoming seasons?
- Would the city of Oakland accept the organization using the Colleseum?
- Ross’s most frustrating part of this entire process: Countless lies being told by various people
- Could the organization be forced to change its name upon relocation?
- Moving the team to Las Vegas is not popular among Nevada natives
- And plenty more
Listen to Stiles & Watkins from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. PST, Monday through Friday, on Sactown Sports 1140.