Jeff Howe gives the 49ers an A+ for hiring Steve Wilks
Feb 7, 2023, 6:08 PM
(Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)
The Athletic’s Jeff Howe joined Cattles & Ramie on Tuesday to talk about the latest storylines around the NFL, including the 49ers hiring Steve Wilks, Derek Carr’s future and Sean Payton’s introductory press conference in Denver.
Topics discussed include:
- Why the Steve Wilks hire was “an A+ hire” by the 49ers
- “Losing DeMeco Ryans was going to hurt, but they knew that, and then to bring in somebody as professional as Wilks is a best-case scenario under the circumstances.”
- Can the 49ers bring in a lower-level veteran quarterback this off-season?
- How surprised Jeff was when Tom Brady announced his retirement and why he doesn’t think he’ll be back
- Derek Carr could end up with one of the NFC South teams
- How long will teams wait to get clarity from Aaron Rodgers and his intentions to play next season
- Why Sean Payton’s situation in Denver is “really interesting” and if the partnership between him and Russell Wilson can work
- “Taking control is, I think, the smart move and I think it’s going to make a lot of people in the building happy, too. I don’t think you get to this point where Payton is comfortable taking that job if he didn’t run that idea past the people he was interviewing with and to know he would be in their good graces if he did make such a bold move.”
Click here to watch and listen to the full interview with Jeff Howe.
Listen to Cattles & Ramie from 2 – 6 p.m. PST, Monday through Friday right here on Sactown Sports 1140.
Click here for full episodes of The Cattles & Ramie Show.