Matt Barrows on what’s next for Trey Lance & the 49ers
Aug 24, 2023, 8:22 AM
(Photo by Michael Owens/Getty Images)
Following months of speculation, San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan announced the team’s backup quarterback:
With Darnold set to backup starter Brock Purdy, former third-overall pick Trey Lance has been relegated to a third-string role, which could signal the beginning of the end of the young quarterback’s tenure in red and gold.
The Athletic’s Matt Barrows joined The Carmichael Dave Show with Jason Ross on Thursday morning to discuss what the decision to select Darnold and demote Lance means for this team, contemplate if San Francisco will look to trade Lance, and much more.
Plus: Will we see Lance suit up for Friday’s preseason game at Levi’s Stadium?
Topics Discussed Include:
- Did yesterday’s news on Trey Lance blindside the players on the team?
- “It was the timing of it that was a surprise.”
- Are the 49ers looking to trade Lance?
- Is there a realistic scenario where Lance finishes the season in San Francisco?
- What is the ‘smart move’ for Lance?
- Did Sam Darnold do enough to beat out Lance for the backup QB job?
- Will we get a chance to see Lance take the field during Friday’s preseason game?
Reports surfaced Wednesday that the San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan has named quarterback Sam Darnold as the team’s backup QB. The move means that fellow QB Trey Lance is on the fringes of the roster, with the team expected to explore options for the former third-overall pick.
NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero were first with the news, with local news outlets confirming the report thereafter.
Listen to The Carmichael Dave Show with Jason Ross from 6 – 11 a.m. PST, Monday through Friday, on Sactown Sports 1140.