Monte McNair says the Sacramento Kings need to ‘take the next step’
Sep 1, 2023, 9:35 AM | Updated: 9:46 am
Sacramento Kings general manager Monte McNair joined The Carmichael Dave Show with Jason Ross and guest host Kayte Christensen on Friday morning to share his excitement toward the upcoming NBA season, talk about what fans can expect from new forward Sasha Vezenkov, and much more!
Plus, McNair pulls back the curtain and shares insight into how general managers evaluate overseas talent like Vezenkov versus how they scout college players for the NBA Draft.
McNair, who signed a three-year contract extension in January, was the first Sacramento executive to win the NBA’s Executive of the Year award since Geoff Petrie did so in 2000-01.
Topics Discussed Include:
- McNair says that he is ready to get the 2023-24 season underway
- Does McNair have a closet full of puffy vests?
- Diving into Sasha Vezenkov’s press conference and how important it is to have him on the roster
- “I think Kings fans are going to be thrilled [with Vezenkov].”
- What goes into the process of scouting an overseas player versus scouting college players?
- How do GMs determine which players are worth selecting in an NBA Draft?
- What does McNair look for most when he is constructing a roster?
- “Just trying to give Coach options and give him guys that can help us win in a variety of ways.”
- Now that the Kings have made the playoffs, is there more or less pressure for this season?
- “It’s going to be tough in the West… We have to go out there for 82 games and put ourselves in the position to take the next step… We’re no secret anymore.”
- McNair applauds Keegan Murray for his poise during his rookie season
- Monte talks about his excitement towards Vezenkov and Chris Duarte joining this roster
- How will McNair and Mike Brown steer this team forward on the defensive front?
- McNair says he expects internal improvement on the defensive end
- How close does McNair read into the regular season schedule?
- Fantasy football talk with McNair, who played College Football for Princeton
About Sacramento Kings GM Monte McNair
Monte McNair has been through a lot since he inherited former GM Vlade Divac’s roster in the fall of 2020.
Not only has McNair drafted well in his three NBA Drafts (Tyrese Haliburton, Davion Mitchell, and Keegan Murray) and made the A+ hire of Coach of the Year winner Mike Brown, but he also executed one of the boldest trades in recent history by trading for two-time All-Star center Domantas Sabonis.
McNair’s offseason moves to bring in sharpshooting guard Kevin Huerter and high-scoring sixth man Malik Monk helped form the top offense in the NBA, as Fox and Sabonis largely benefited from having both players in the starting lineup.
Monte McNair is your 2022-23 NBA Basketball Executive of the Year 🙌 pic.twitter.com/I8Qe8XD6EM
— Sacramento Kings (@SacramentoKings) May 3, 2023
Sacramento finished the season with the third-best record in the Western Conference at 48-34 en route to their first NBA Playoff appearance since 2006.
Thanks to the contributions of McNair, the Kings have franchise talents in De’Aaron Fox and Domantas Sabonis and a young core that includes Keegan Murray, Davion Mitchell, Kevin Huerter, and Malik Monk, as well as the NBA’s reigning Coach of the Year in Mike Brown.
Following an incredible 2022-23 season, Sacramento’s fanbase has fallen in love with this core–one that McNair has assembled to help lead this franchise into a future that many hope will include multiple playoff appearances and, eventually, contention for an NBA championship.
Sacramento Kings 2023-24 Preseason Schedule
- Sunday, October 8th – Sacramento Kings @ Toronto Raptors – 5 PM PST (Preseason Opener)
- Wednesday, October 11th – Sacramento Kings @ Los Angeles Lakers – 7 PM PST (in Anaheim, CA)
- Sunday, October 15th – Sacramento Kings vs. Golden State Warriors – 7 PM PST
- Wednesday, October 18th – Sacramento Kings @ Golden State Warriors – 7 PM PST
- Thursday, October 19th – Sacramento Kings vs. Utah Jazz – 7 PM PST
Sacramento Kings 2023-24 Regular Season Schedule
- Tuesday, October 24th – NBA regular season begins
- Wednesday, October 25th – Sacramento Kings @ Utah Jazz – 6 PM (Season Opener)
- Friday, October 27th – Sacramento Kings vs. Golden State Warriors – 7 PM (Home Opener)