NBA writer apologizes for leaving Fox off Clutch Player of the Year ballot
May 30, 2023, 3:00 PM
(Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)
Gary Washburn, the Boston Globe’s national NBA writer and Celtics reporter, joined Kyle Draper and Chris Watkins on Chris & Co. Monday to talk about the Boston Celtics’ dramatic elimination from the playoffs.
But before the guys could let Washburn go, Draper had to ask something on behalf of all Sacramento Kings fans: How could he leave De’Aaron Fox off the ballot for the inaugural Clutch Player of the Year award?
Fox received 91 of the 100 first-place votes.
Washburn — whose ballot included Donovan Mitchell, Jalen Brunson, and Joel Embiid — joked with Sactown Sports about his process behind the vote.
“I didn’t even know there was like a clutch stat like that,” Washburn said. “I ain’t got nothing against De’Aaron, I love his game. I did not mean to take it out on De’Aaron, I have to do a better job of researching clutch stats.”
Additional topics discussed include:
- If this season was a failure for not making the NBA Finals
- Who are people pointing the finger at for Boston’s loss
- Did Joe Mazzulla save his job by pushing the series against the Heat to seven games
- If moves are made, which players are more likely to exit Boston this summer
- Are Tatum and Brown good enough to win an NBA title together?
Thank you for reading SactownSports.com. Listen to Chris & Co. from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. PST, Monday through Friday right here on Sactown Sports 1140. Be sure to subscribe to their podcast here. Follow us on Twitter, and be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel.