SF Giants on the doorstep of third NL Wild Card spot
Sep 14, 2023, 10:08 AM | Updated: 10:08 am
(Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)
For the San Francisco Giants, every game holds immense significance during these final weeks of the regular season.
With 16 games left on the 2023 regular season schedule, the Giants (75-71) sit just one half-game behind the third and final National League Wild Card spot.
Although San Francisco has almost closed a 2.5-game gap in the standings, they will have to leap over three teams–the Miami Marlins, who are currently tied with the Giants in the playoff picture, along with the Cincinnati Reds and NL West foe Arizona Diamondbacks.
Entering play on Thursday, Cincinnati and Arizona were in a tie for the third Wild Card spot as San Francisco prepared for the first game of a four-game set against the lowly Colorado Rockies.
THE WEEK OF WADE 🙌 pic.twitter.com/pYI3xMxDss
— SFGiants (@SFGiants) September 13, 2023
The race for an NL Wild Card berth appears to be coming down the stretch, with these four teams battling it out for just one spot. Only one team will punch its ticket for October.
Who is positioned to gain ground during this weekend’s action?
What is the current state of the NL Wild Card standings?
Following the Giants’ fifth win over the past six contests, San Francisco has put itself in a position to jump into a postseason spot as teams around them deal with some tough matchups during this weekend’s slate of action:
- The Marlins will play a three-game set against the MLB-best Atlanta Braves
- Arizona will face the surging Chicago Cubs
- Cincinnati is in New York to play a Mets team that has won three of its past four games
San Francisco will play one of its final series of the season against a sub-.500 opponent when they face a Rockies (53-92) team that holds the worst record in the National League.
During last week’s three-game sweep over Colorado at Oracle Park, the Giant’s offense exploded for 24 runs while batting .349 as a team.
With just a handful of series remaining on the regular season schedule and two looming series against the NL West-leading Los Angeles Dodgers, San Francisco will need to take care of business against the last-place Rockies in order to jump back into the third Wild Card spot.
Upcoming San Francisco Giants Schedule
- Thursday, September 14th-Sunday, September 17th – @ Colorado Rockies
- Tuesday, September 19th-Wednesday, September 20th – @ Arizona Diamondbacks
- Thursday, September 21st-Sunday, September 24th – @ Los Angeles Dodgers
- Monday, September 25th-Wednesday, September 27th – vs. San Diego Padres
- Friday, September 29th-Sunday, October 1st – vs. Los Angeles Dodgers
End of MLB regular season