Luke Loucks has had ‘a blast’ coaching Kings summer league
Jul 14, 2023, 11:31 AM
(Photo by Rocky Widner/NBAE via Getty Images)
Luke Loucks is wrapping up his first stint as the Sacramento Kings Summer League head coach.
First, the Kings went 2-0 during the California Classic. Las Vegas wasn’t as kind to the Kings, with the team going 2-2 ahead through Friday. The Sacramento Kings’ final NBA 2K24 Las Vegas Summer League game takes place at 1:30 p.m. PST Saturday against the Milwaukee Bucks.
Through two weeks of games, Loucks said he’s had a blast.
“I’m learning so much. It’s going to make me a far better assistant coach going into next year, sitting in this seat and managing the staff. Problems come up, you got to deal with them, you have to have the answer all the time and if you don’t, you have to be confident in your staff to make the right answer,” Loucks said. “It’s been such a great learning experience for me. And really, I’m truly enjoying it. And I’m so glad Mike [Brown] gave me this opportunity.”
Additional topics discussed include:
- The California Classic’s gameplan and getting more out of Keegan Murray
- Murray’s summer, working out with guard De’Aaron Fox
- How challenging is coaching when you lose a player like Neemias Queta to an injury, even in summer league play
- The Kings’ style of play and how the rookies are adjusting to it
- What he’s seen so far from rookie Colby Jones
- Things he’s learned in the coach’s chair
- Using challenges during the NBA season and getting an extra challenge starting next season
- What else is the team looking to get from De’Aaron Fox?
- If anything still sticks out from the Kings’ playoff loss to the Golden State Warriors
Click here to watch and listen to the full interview with assistant coach Luke Loucks.
Sacramento Kings Offseason Schedule
- Friday, July 7 –Monday, July 17– NBA Summer League in Las Vegas
- August TBD – 2023-24 NBA regular season schedule release
- September TBD – Sacramento Kings training camp begins
- October TBD – Sacramento Kings preseason begins
- October TBD – NBA regular season begins
Listen to The Carmichael Dave Show with Jason Ross from 6 – 11 a.m. PST, Monday through Friday, on Sactown Sports 1140. Subscribe to their podcast here. Follow us on Twitter and be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel.