Sacramento’s current In-Season Tournament standings
Nov 17, 2023, 10:50 AM
(Photo by Lachlan Cunningham/Getty Images)
Every NBA team has played at least one In-Season Tournament game in this inaugural year of its integration. The Sacramento Kings’ second matchup comes Friday night against the San Antonio Spurs, and they’re in a position to compete for the top of their group.
To recap, each conference is broken into three groupings for the In-Season Tournament, with leaders scheduled to advance to the basket stage. If tied records were to occur within a group, point differential acts as the first tie-breaker — leaving teams encouraged to keep adding to their final tally until the final buzzer, despite their advantage or deficiency.
After the six group winners, each conference bracket will include a wild-card spot awarded to the best record /point-differential of those who did not finish at the top of their grouping. Sacramento was placed into a competitive Group C.
- Group C Standings
- 1. Minnesota Timberwolves: 2-0 (+10)
- 2. Sacramento Kings: 1-0 (+7)
- 3. Golden State Warriors: 1-1 (-1)
- 4. Oklahoma City Thunder: 1-2 (+27)
- 5. San Antonio Spurs: 0-2 (-43)
Oklahoma City is a laughable +27 despite their 1-2 record, thanks to their 123-87 victory over the Spurs last Tuesday, November 14th. Yet, with just four games used to determine seeding, their chances with a 1-2 record are slim.
The Kings go into Friday’s matchup in San Antonio heavily favored, but the aforementioned point differential should factor in. No other Group C games occur on Friday, Nov. 17th, as Sacramento catches up in games played.
Two showdowns remain for them against the other top teams within their grouping. While the value of the In-Season Tournament remains polarizing, those games are set up to hold significant value for the event if the Kings can come away with a win in San Antonio.
- Friday, November 17th – Sacramento Kings @ San Antonio Spurs** – 4:30 PM PST
- Sunday, November 19th – Sacramento Kings @ Dallas Mavericks – 4:30 PM PST
- Monday, November 20th – Sacramento Kings @ New Orleans Pelicans – 5:00 PM PST
- Wednesday, November 22nd – Sacramento Kings @ New Orleans Pelicans – 5:00 PM PST
- Friday, November 24th – Sacramento Kings @ Minnesota Timberwolves** – 5:00 PM PST
** NBA In-Season Tournament Group Play