SF Giants ace Logan Webb named finalist for NL Cy Young Award
Nov 7, 2023, 8:06 AM
(Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)
San Francisco Giants ace Logan Webb was named as one of three finalists for the National League Cy Young Award on Monday, marking the first time that the right-hander has been named as one of the nominees for Major League Baseball’s top pitching accolade.
Webb, a Rocklin native, was named as a finalist alongside San Diego Padres left-hander Blake Snell and Arizona Diamondbacks righty Zac Gallen.
MLB Network will announce the NL Cy Young Award winner on Wednesday, November 15th, at 3:00 PM PST.
Your 2023 @officialBBWAA NL Cy Young Award finalists:
Logan Webb pic.twitter.com/xR6KFrmvoE
— MLB (@MLB) November 7, 2023
It was a rocky season for the Giants, but Webb remained a constant for a team that struggled to find consistency in the batter’s box.
Webb, who posted an 11-13 record, 3.25 ERA, and 1.07 WHIP over 33 starts, received little run support from his San Francisco teammates during the 2023 season.
In fact, Webb ranked dead-last in run support among all MLB starters with 20 or more starts (3.09 runs per start).
Although the Giants’ offense failed Webb more times than not last season, the right-hander had a strong year as team president Farhan Zaidi will now look to surround his Cy Young finalist with more talent during the offseason.
Soon-to-be free-agent Blake Snell is viewed as the odds-on favorite to take home the Cy Young Award, but Webb’s career is on the right track following three straight seasons with a 3.25 ERA or better.
Logan Webb: National League & MLB Ranks
- Quality Starts: 24 (2nd in NL, 2nd in MLB)
- K/BB ratio: 6.26 (1st in NL, 3rd in MLB)
- BB/9: 1.29 (1st in NL, 3rd in MLB)
- WAR (Pitchers): 5.6 (2nd in NL, 3rd in MLB)
- WHIP: 1.07 (2nd in NL, 6th in MLB)
- ERA: 3.25 (4th in NL, 10th in MLB)
- Strikeouts: 194 (11th in NL, 19th in MLB)
MLB Offseason Schedule
- November 6th – MLB free agency begins
- November 17th – Non-tender deadline
- December 6th – Rule 5 Draft
- Mid-February – Spring Training begins
SF Giants Schedule
- February 13-15th – Pitchers and catchers report for Spring Training workouts
- February TBD – Full squad workouts
- Saturday, February 24th – Spring Training opener vs. Chicago Cubs