Vic Tafur says Josh Jacobs ‘deserves’ a new long-term deal with the Raiders
Jul 17, 2023, 6:09 PM | Updated: 7:21 pm
(Photo by Jeff Bottari/Getty Images)
Las Vegas Raiders beat writer for The Athletic, Vic Tafur, joined Sactown Sports Monday afternoon to talk about the Raiders and running back Josh Jacobs not coming to a long-term deal at the deadline, what is next for the two sides heading into Training Camp, and a general overlook of the Raiders roster heading into the 2023 season. Plus, has Josh Jacobs earned a big extension in the NFL?
All that & more on Sactown Sports.
“He’s not happy, it’s definitely safe to say that,” Tafur said on the show Monday. “I think last year [the Raiders] came in and they took out his fifth-year option, which was their mistake. The Raiders could have paid him eight million dollars for this year and the whole thing wouldn’t be an issue right now, but they chose not to. So it kind of was a prove-it year for Josh and he led the league in rushing. He was the best player, he played hurt…I think in his mind, he proved what he had to prove to get a long-term deal. Twenty-five years old, not a lot of mileage on him. So I think he thought he was in a good spot to get rewarded with a nice payday. Again, one year, $10.1 million isn’t that bad. But it’s not really what he wanted or not what really he kind of deserves.”
Additional topics discussed include:
- Was there a chance that Josh Jacobs was getting a deal today?
- Is there bad blood from Jacobs’ camp towards the Raiders?
- Is Jacobs worthy of a big extension?
- Will Jacobs hold out past Training Camp?
- How will Jimmy Garoppolo fit into Josh McDaniels’ offense?
- The latest on Jimmy G’s recovery from foot surgery
- Who is Vic watching at 2023 Raiders Training Camp?
- What is the 2023 season about for Las Vegas?