49ers reporter doesn’t know how long Trey Lance will be in San Francisco
Jul 29, 2023, 8:30 AM
(Photo by Michael Zagaris/San Francisco 49ers/Getty Images)
Jack Hammer, the San Francisco 49ers beat reporter for the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, joined Sactown Sports to talk about what he’s seen so far through three days of training camp.
Hammer noted that Brandon Allen has gotten a majority of the throwing reps with the third string. With Brock Purdy reportedly throwing with the first string, that leaves Trey Lance and Sam Darnold to battle for the backup position.
“I don’t know how much longer he’s [Trey Lance] going to be in San Francisco. It all depends on what happens with Brock Purdy here,” Hammer told Sactown Sports. “If Brock Purdy continues to progress and he becomes the same guy he was last season, then you’re left with having to decide between Trey Lance and Sam Darnold. And you got Trey Lance on your salary cap next year for almost $11 million. But is there somebody out there that’s going to want to trade for him? Unless somebody wants to trade for him, he’s going to be a 49er because they can’t release him.”
Additional topics discussed include:
- How Brock Purdy has looked through three days of camp
- What have the rep splits been like between the quarterbacks
- How has the offensive line looked as the 49ers work to replace Mike McGlinchey
- Is there any concern about Nick Bosa and his contract situation?
- Javon Kinlaw is fighting “for his NFL career.”
- Will the loss of Jimmie Ward impact the secondary?
- Takeaways from the wide receiver group
- Rookie Ji’Ayir Brown has “been a little up and down to me.”