Sac Bee reporter previews San Francisco 49ers’ upcoming rivalry matchup
Sep 13, 2023, 10:18 AM | Updated: 4:14 pm
(Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images)
After taking care of business against the Pittsburg Steelers in week one, the San Francisco 49ers have a looming matchup with the Los Angeles Rams this coming Sunday.
Chris Biderman, of the Sacramento Bee and Candlestick Chronicles podcast, joined Watkins & Whitey on Tuesday to break down Brock Purdy’s impressive opening, differences in the defense with a new coordinator, preview the upcoming matchup at SoFi Stadium, and more.
San Francisco is off to an impressive start, but where can they continue to improve from here?
Some of the topics Watkins & Whitey discussed with Biderman were:
- What do you think Kyle Shanahan was most happy with in the Steelers’ victory?
- Brock Purdy’s poise and continued growth in year two
- With all the success, were there any concerns aspects in week one?
- Did a Steve Wilks-led defense look any different than when DeMeco Ryans was at the helm?
- San Francisco is clearly committed to the run game at every position
- What to expect from the Los Angeles Rams this weekend
Despite a dominant 30-7 victory over the Steelers, there is always room for continued growth. Biderman shared that the right side of the offensive line could use some work, specifically Colton McKivits and Spencer Buford. Although, it’s admittedly easy to be overly critical considering they were matched up against former Pro Bowler T.J. Watt.
As for the 1:05 P.M. kickoff this Saturday against the Rams, Biderman reminds everyone that this is viewed as a rivalry game within the San Francisco locker room. The Rams’ roster isn’t as impressive as in years prior, but these teams have a history that adds something extra to the matchup.
Listen to Watkins & Whitey from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. PST, Monday through Friday, on Sactown Sports 1140.