Deshaun Watson Speaks To Media For The First Time Since March 25th: ‘I Just Want To Clear My Name’
Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson met with the media for the first time since March 25th Tuesday after the Browns opened mandatory minicamp this week. Watson spoke to the media for roughly 10 minutes, answering a variety of questions, including whether he’s open to settling the 24 civil cases pending against him.
“I just want to clear my name,” Watson said Tuesday, hoping to let the facts come out through the legal process.
The statement comes after 24 civil cases have been filed against Watson, with two more on the way, according to attorney Tony Buzzbee. Watson was also asked about the contention from one of the lawsuits that he offered $100,000 to each of the plaintiffs last year, declining to get into specific details at the press conference.
“There was a process that was going on back in November with another organization,” Watson said, referring to his lawyer Rusty Hardin’s public comments that the Miami Dolphins wanted the cases to be resolved before a trade could happen.
Additionally, the former Texan was asked about his first press conference with the Browns in March when he stated he had “no regrets” about what happened in the past.
“’I think that question kind of triggered a lot of people,’ Watson said, explaining that he was saying he never assaulted, disrespected, or harassed anyone,” Mike Florio wrote.
He did show remorse for the people and families affected by the cases, regretting the impact it has had on the Browns organization.
“I do understand that I do have regrets as far as the impact that (it’s had) on the community and people outside of just myself,” Watson said. “And that includes my family. That includes this organization. That includes my teammates in this locker room that have to answer to these questions. That includes the fan base of the Cleveland Browns. That includes males, females, everyone across the, the world. That’s one thing I do regret is the impact that it’s triggered on so many people. It’s tough to have to deal with.”
Watson also responded to the report from the New York Times that Watson received massages from at least 66 women in a 17-month period, deferring to his lawyers.
“I don’t think so,” Watson said.