Greg Papa compares Aiyuk, Samuel to former Raiders duo Rice, Brown
Sep 15, 2023, 10:00 AM
(Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)
Greg Papa, the radio voice of the 49ers, joined the Carmichael Dave Show with Jason Ross Friday to preview Sunday’s matchup against the Los Angeles Rams, Brandon Aiyuk and his big game in Week 1, and more.
Aiyuk racked up a career-high 129 yards on eight receptions and two touchdowns in San Francisco’s 30-7 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers. That also resulted in him walking away with the NFC Offensive Player of the Week award.
“Aiyuk is just special, he’s always been. When he got to training camp, it was the 2020 pandemic year, but just watching him right away, he was a superior route runner than Deebo was when Deebo came in,” Papa said. “For me, it’s like when the old Raiders when they had Jerry Rice and Tim Brown. Jerry Rice is a precise route runner, that’s Brandon Aiyuk. He’s getting better and better and better. He’s not Jerry Rice, but it’s all choreographed dance steps. Where Deebo is more Touchdown Timmy Brown. More of a broken-field runner.”
Additional topics discussed include:
- Before last Sunday, the Steelers were 10-5-1 in Week 1 games over the last 16 years.
- Deebo Samuel is “running routes” better than he ever has
- Coming up with catchphrases for players
- How the 49ers keep things going this Sunday against the Rams after they surprised the Seahawks with a win last Sunday
- Can Brock Purdy eventually be a 400-yard passing quarterback?
Listen to The Carmichael Dave Show with Jason Ross from 6 – 11 a.m. PST, Monday through Friday, on Sactown Sports 1140. Subscribe to their podcast here. Follow us on Twitter and be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel.