Jerry Reynolds on Davion Mitchell’s growth & the Kings’ rotation
Aug 11, 2023, 12:59 PM
(Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)
Entering his third NBA season, Sacramento Kings guard Davion Mitchell recently told Deuce & Mo that he is working on expanding his ability to shoot the basketball.
After being sidelined for the majority of Game 7 against the Golden State Warriors during the NBA Playoffs due to a lack of offensive impact, Mitchell has spent time working with NBA career three-point leader Stephen Curry’s shooting coach to hone his shooting skills.
Legendary Kings broadcaster, coach, and general manager Jerry Reynolds joined Whitey & Watkins on Friday afternoon to talk about what it would mean for Mitchell’s game if he improved his three-point shooting, discussed how Sacramento will juggle all of the players in its rotation this season, and more.
- How significant were Hall of Fame inductees Dirk Nowitzki, Tony Parker, and Pau Gasol in bringing the NBA to another level from a worldwide perspective?
- “Dirk was one of those guys that got better every year.”
- Does former Sacramento Kings great Jerry Lucas deserve to have his number retired?
- Davion Mitchell says that he is working with Stephen Curry’s shooting coach
- How much would an improved jump shot change Mitchell’s game?
- “Time will tell, but I have a lot of faith in [Mitchell].”
- Will finding minutes for all of Sacramento’s rotation pieces be tough?
- “You aren’t going to be able to play 12-13 guys a night.”
- Will the Phoenix Suns be the team to beat in the Western Conference?
About Kings guard Davion Mitchell
During his sophomore season in 2022-23, Mitchell averaged 5.6 points, 2.3 assists, and 0.6 steals per game while shooting 45 percent from the field and 32 percent from beyond the three-point line over 80 appearances (nine starts) and 18.1 minutes per contest.
Mitchell, the ninth selection from the 2021 NBA Draft, made an impact on the defensive end during Sacramento’s playoff series against the Golden State Warriors.
Over seven playoff games, Mitchell averaged 7.1 points, 1.7 assists, and 0.9 steals per game while posting 41/25/83 shooting splits (20 minutes per game).
Sacramento Kings Offseason Schedule
- August TBD – 2023-24 NBA regular season schedule release
- September TBD – Sacramento Kings training camp begins
- Sunday, October 8th – Sacramento Kings @ Toronto Raptors – 5 PM PST (Preseason opener)
- October TBD – NBA regular season begins