Matt Barrows’ perspective on the 49ers victory in ‘Levi’s South’
Sep 18, 2023, 12:04 PM | Updated: Sep 19, 2023, 11:59 am
(Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)
The San Francisco 49ers went into SoFi Stadium and took care of business with a 30-23 victory over the Los Angeles Rams.
Matt Barrows, of The Athletic, joined The Carmichael Dave Show with Jason Ross, to share his evaluation of Brock Purdy’s performance, Matthew Stafford’s connection with Puke Nacua, provide injury updates, and more.
To start, Barrows was asked his opinion on the polarizing last-second field goal from the Rams that covered the spread.
Matt Barrows highlighted the impact that both Isaiah Oliver and Fred Warner were able to make on the defensive side of the ball. Matt, Dave, and Jason discussed the notable differences between San Francisco’s first and second-half defense. New defensive coordinator, Steve Wilks, was impressed with some of the adjustments he made throughout the course of the game.
Purdy’s somewhat polarizing performance warranted conversation as well. How concerning were the overthrows? What about the rest of his game?
Other topics discussed include:
- The percentage of 49ers fans that occupied ‘Levi’s South’
- Are the Rams better than most people thought?
- The connection between Matthew Stafford and Puka Nacua
- Injury update on Brandon Aiyuk and Ambry Thomas
- Brock Purdy’s crucial overthrows, but overall solid performance
- Kicker Jake Moody “looks like he did in training camp”
Listen to The Carmichael Dave Show with Jason Ross from 6 – 10 a.m. PST, Monday through Friday, on Sactown Sports 1140.
Upcoming San Francisco 49ers Schedule
- Thursday, September 21st vs. New York Giants – 5:15 PM PST
- Sunday, October 1st vs. Arizona Cardinals – 1:25 PM PST
- Sunday, October 8th vs. San Francisco 49ers – 5:20 PM PST
- Sunday, October 15th @Cleveland Browns – 10:00 AM PST
- Monday, October 23rd @ Minnesota Vikings – 5:15 PM PST