Mike Sando on the most surprising results in his quarterback tiers survey
Aug 1, 2023, 1:53 PM
(Photo by Norm Hall/Getty Images)
Mike Sando, The Athletic’s senior NFL writer, joined Whitey & Watkins to talk about his recent piece on the 2023 quarterback tiers. This is the 10th year he’s put the tiers together, which surveys 50 NFL coaches and evaluators on the league’s throwers.
When it came to the most surprising result, Sando pointed to Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray.
“I guess I was surprised there wasn’t more negativity around Kyler Murray,” Sando said. “He did slide a little bit, but he’s still a top guy in Tier 3, he’s between Kirk Cousins and Derek Carr who have been steady players for a long time. There wasn’t a lot of people ripping on Kyler Murray and he’s had a tough last year where he hasn’t looked good… So I thought there was a little bit more optimisation on him than I was expecting.”
2023 Quarterback Tiers is live!
Hard to believe it's the 10th year already!https://t.co/mGLlYVPRw0
— Mike Sando (@SandoNFL) July 31, 2023
Additional topics discussed include:
- How Brock Purdy ended up in Tier 3 with the likes of Derek Carr and Ryan Tannehill
- What bumped Aaron Rodgers down from a Tier 1 quarterback to Tier 2?
- If a quarterback’s situation impacts their Tier ranking
- His biggest disagreement with the panel
- Why the panel thinks Denver Broncos quarterback Russell Wilson can’t be worse than last year
Listen to Whitey & Watkins from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. PST, Monday through Friday, on Sactown Sports 1140. Thank you for reading SactownSports.com. Follow us on Twitter, and subscribe to our YouTube channel.