Return of the Empire: 49ers OTAs & Mandatory Minicamp recap
Jun 12, 2023, 11:11 AM | Updated: 11:33 am
On a new episode of the Return of the Empire podcast, the guys break down the 2023 offseason program for the San Francisco 49ers. Amil & Nate discuss takeaways from OTAs and minicamp, who stood out and who wasn’t practicing. Plus, is Brock Purdy still the guy despite being hurt? All that and more on the Return of the Empire podcast.
“It’s OTAs so every position, like I think I’ve said to you guys before, I don’t try to come in and know who’s ahead or not. All this stuff gives these guys a chance to have a chance to compete in training camp,” coach Kyle Shanahan said last week. “When you don’t practice football an entire offseason, you don’t do any practice of football since your last game. It’s very hard to come to training camp and be ready to beat someone out and so that’s what you try to provide all this stuff for is just to give guys a chance to learn the offense, get their timing, get everything, so now when they go to training camp, they’re ready to compete and that’s truly where I see the competition starting.”
Topics discussed include:
- Amil & Nate recap the last month for the 49ers
- Who stood out the most at OTAs? Minicamp?
- Will Nick Bosa get a new deal before the season starts?
- Who is QB1 in San Francisco?
- Could the 49ers keep four QBs on the main roster?
- Will Trey Lance get another opportunity in San Francisco?
- Is Brandon Aiyuk ready to take off?
- Deebo Samuel redemption tour?
The Return of the Empire podcast is a San Francisco 49ers podcast hosted by 49ers beat writer Amiliano Fragoso and producer Nate Littlefield for Sactown Sports 1140.