Sacramento Kings sign Justyn Mutts to deal for Summer League
Jun 23, 2023, 10:38 AM
(Photo by Ryan Hunt/Getty Images)
In the moments that followed the 2023 NBA Draft, the Sacramento Kings inked Virginia Tech forward Justyn Mutts to a Summer League contract, per ClutchPoints’ Brett Siegel.
Mutts, a fifth-year senior in 2022-23, averaged 13.3 points, 7.4 rebounds, 4.6 assists, and 1.5 steals per game while shooting 57 percent from the field and 32 percent from three-point land over 33 appearances (all starts) for the Hokies.
Source: Justyn Mutts will sign a Summer League deal with the Sacramento Kings.
— Brett Siegel (@BrettSiegelNBA) June 23, 2023
The 6’7, 230-pound forward will join recently drafted Kings rookies Colby Jones, who was selected with the 34th overall pick out of Xavier, and Jalen Slawson, the 54th selection out of Furman on a Summer League roster that is expected to begin a mini-camp next week before the California Classic tips off at Golden 1 Center on July 3rd.
Sacramento guard Keon Ellis is also expected to participate in Summer League, per a league source. Ellis averaged 16.0 points, 5.2 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.6 steals per game while shooting 44 percent from three-point range during 23 appearances with the Kings’ G-League affiliate in Stockton.
With Jones, Ellis, Slawson, and now Mutts, Sacramento has the makings of a strong Summer League roster as they move closer to the California Classic and Las Vegas Summer League.
Sacramento Kings Offseason Schedule
- Friday, June 30 – Free Agent negotiating period begins
- Monday, July 3rd & Wednesday, July 5th – California Classic Summer League at Golden 1 Center
- Thursday, July 6– Free Agents can begin signing deals
- Friday, July 7–Monday, July 17– NBA Summer League in Las Vegas
- August TBD– 2023-24 NBA regular season schedule release
- September TBD– Sacramento Kings training camp begins