Sacramento Republic FC owner Says “We Have A Chance To Make History”
Jul 27, 2022, 9:36 AM | Updated: 10:16 am
(Photo by Jenny Chuang/ISI Photos/Getty Images)
Sacramento Republic FC owner Kevin Nagle joined The Carmichael Dave Show with Jason Ross Wednesday morning ahead of the team’s match against Sporting Kansas City in the semifinals of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
“It’s not hyperbole, it’s fact,” Nagle said, responding to Dave’s question if it is the biggest match in club history. The Republic is the lone USL team left in the tournament. If they defeat Sporting Kansas City, they’ll go on to face the winner of the Orlando City SC and New York Red Bulls match. “I believe we can win these games.”
READ MORE FROM SACTOWN SPORTS: How To Watch & Listen To The Sacramento Republic FC’s US Open Cup Match
“I have a lot of respect for them [Kansas City]…except for when we get on the pitch tonight,” Nagle said.
Topics discussed include:
- Sporting Kansas City, the team’s history, and how helpful the ownership group was as Nagle and Sacramento were moving through the MLS bidding process.
- The levels of soccer fandom of the Nagle family
- Tickets to the game sold out in hours and how this became the biggest ticket in town
- Local pride in the team and excitement for the match
- If the team wins out and excitement continues to build, Nagle said they’ll likely revisit the size of the proposed Railyards stadium
- How the World Cup coming to the US in 2026 will have an impact on soccer in the states
- Trying to make the playoffs at the same time as the team plays in the US Open Cup
Listen to The Carmichael Dave Show from 6 – 9 a.m. PST, Monday through Friday right here on Sactown Sports 1140.
For full episodes of The Carmichael Dave Show With Jason Ross, click here.