Are the Sacramento Kings a fit for Jrue Holiday?
Sep 29, 2023, 4:54 PM
(Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images)
In the aftermath of the blockbuster deal that sent All-Star guard Damian Lillard to the Milwaukee Bucks, an important question will need to be answered in the coming days:
Where will the Portland Trail Blazers trade Jrue Holiday?
Jerry Reynolds, legendary former Sacramento Kings broadcaster, coach, and general manager, joined Whitey & Watkins on Friday afternoon to talk about Holiday’s potential fit on this Kings roster, break down the recent signings of Jeremy Lamb and Jaylen Nowell, and much more!
Note: The Athletic’s Sam Amick reported on Friday that Sacramento is “not in the mix” for Holiday.
- Jerry shares his thoughts on the Damian Lillard-Milwaukee Bucks trade
- The loss of Jrue Holiday’s defensive impact could outweigh the addition of Lillard’s offensive skillset, says Reynolds
- Are Giannis Antetokounmpo and Brook Lopez’s defense enough to plug the holes left behind by Holiday?
- “They are not going to be as good defensively, so we’ll have to see how that works out.”
- Are the Sacramento Kings a fit for Holiday, who will likely be traded by the Blazers?
- Is roster continuity underrated in today’s NBA?
- Jerry dives into the newest Kings signings, guards Jeremy Lamb and Jaylen Nowell
- Reynolds reflects on how he ran training camps when he was a head coach
Listen to Whitey & Watkins from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. PST, Monday through Friday, right here on Sactown Sports 1140. Subscribe to their podcast here.
More on the Sacramento Kings’ signings of Jeremy Lamb and Jaylen Nowell
According to a league source, veteran guard Jeremy Lamb and 24-year-old guard Jaylen Nowell will be joining Sacramento for training camp in hopes of securing the team’s final open roster spot.
Lamb, 31, spent the final half of the 2021-22 season with Sacramento after being acquired in the Domantas Sabonis trade.
Over 17 appearances with the Kings, Lamb averaged 7.9 points and 3.5 rebounds per game while shooting 40 percent from the field and 30 percent from beyond the three-point line. Lamb did not play for a team in 2022-23 and is looking to get back into the swing of things in 2023-24.
During Lamb’s 10-year career in the NBA, the former UConn guard holds averages of 10.1 points, 3.6 rebounds, and 1.6 assists on 44 percent shooting from the field and 34 percent from three-point land (573 games played).
Nowell, 24, played in 65 games for the Minnesota Timberwolves during the 2022-23 season, where he averaged a career-high 10.8 points, 2.6 rebounds, and 2.0 assists per game to go along with 44/28/77 shooting splits (65 games, two starts).
Media Day is set to tip off on Monday at 1:00 PM PST at Golden 1 Center, and Sactown Sports 1140 will be there to bring you plenty of exclusive coverage on the air and all of our social media platforms.
2023-24 Preseason Schedule
- Sunday, October 8th – Sacramento Kings @ Toronto Raptors – 5 PM PST (Preseason Opener)
- Wednesday, October 11th – Sacramento Kings @ Los Angeles Lakers – 7 PM PST (in Anaheim, CA)
- Sunday, October 15th – Sacramento Kings vs. Golden State Warriors – 7 PM PST
- Wednesday, October 18th – Sacramento Kings @ Golden State Warriors – 7 PM PST
- Thursday, October 19th – Sacramento Kings vs. Utah Jazz – 7 PM PST
2023-24 Regular Season Schedule
- Tuesday, October 24th – NBA regular season begins
- Wednesday, October 25th – Sacramento Kings @ Utah Jazz – 6 PM (Season Opener)
- Friday, October 27th – Sacramento Kings vs. Golden State Warriors – 7 PM (Home Opener)