Why Kings rookie Jalen Slawson is already asking fans not to hate him
Jun 28, 2023, 9:05 AM | Updated: 9:17 am
(Photo by Kevin Sabitus/Getty Images)
The Sacramento Kings introduced their newest members of the franchise on Tuesday as 34th overall pick Colby Jones and 54th selection Jalen Slawson took the stage at Golden 1 Center to meet the media.
Following the press conference, Sactown Sports’ Jason Ross had a chance to sit down with Slawson and discuss various topics, including the 23-year-old’s fit with Sacramento, his excitement about joining this up-and-coming team, and much more.
Slawson, a 6’7 wing with a 6’11 wingspan, averaged 15.6 points, 7.1 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 1.5 steals, and 1.5 blocks per game while shooting 55 percent from the field and 39 percent from three-point range over 36 games for the Furman Paladins.
The senior received his second-straight Southern Conference Player of the Year honor while shooting over 40 percent on catch-and-shoot three-point field-goal attempts and over 60 percent at the rim while defending positions three through five.
Here’s Sactown Sports’ one-on-one exclusive with Sacramento Kings rookie Jalen Slawson:
- Slawson talks about his recent success–leading Furman past Virginia in the NCAA Tournament and getting drafted
- Breaking down 13-seed Furman’s win over 4-seed Virginia in the Round of 64
- Slawson talks about the emotions that he felt when he got drafted
- “It was the craziest night in my life.”
- What has it been like getting to know fellow Kings rookie Colby Jones?
- “It’s the start to a strong brotherhood.”
- Which NBA player does Slawson compare himself to?
Sacramento Kings Offseason Schedule
- Friday, June 30– Free Agent negotiating period begins
- Monday, July 3rd & Wednesday, July 5th – California Classic Summer League at Golden 1 Center
- Thursday, July 6– Free Agents can begin signing deals
- Friday, July 7–Monday, July 17– NBA Summer League in Las Vegas
- August TBD– 2023-24 NBA regular season schedule release
- September TBD– Sacramento Kings training camp begins