SF Chronicle writer says Eagles are the San Francisco 49ers biggest threat in the NFC
Sep 26, 2023, 11:49 AM
(Perry Knotts/Getty Images)
Scott Ostler, columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle, joined Watkins & Whitey with Zakariah on Tuesday morning to discuss a handful of topics. They dove into the recent play of the San Francisco 49ers, their biggest competition in the NFC, how Chris Paul fits with the Golden State Warriors, and more.
Their conversation began with Scott being asked who the biggest threat is to the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC. The Philadelphia Eagles? The Dallas Cowboys? Maybe even the Seattle Seahawks? It seemed to be an easy answer for him: Philadelphia.
Zakariah has previously compared the playstyle of quarterback Brock Purdy to Joe Montana. Not that he is anywhere near as accomplished or proven as Montana is, but Scott agreed that parallels exist.
As the conversation continued, the topic transitioned into Chris Paul’s fit with the Golden State Warriors. Scott is skeptical of how it’s going to work.
“If the Warriors can put this together and make it work, they’re gonna be a factor and maybe in the finals. But, man, it’s hard to see,” Ostler said. “They picked him up six weeks ago, or whatever it is, and still they haven’t conveyed to the outside world if he’s okay with not starting. To me, if Chris Paul starts 70 games this year, that’s weird, and it’s probably not going to work. Yet, we don’t know if Chris Paul is going to be okay with coming off the bench. He’s never done it for even one game. It’s almost like they’re tip-toeing around Chris Paul… I don’t remember a situation like this.”
Other topics discussed include:
- The San Francisco Giants not spending big money in free agency
- Pete Carroll has the Seattle Seahawks playing well… again
- San Francisco’s upcoming matchup with the Arizona Cardinals
- Scott’s impressions of the Sacramento Kings after their postseason battle with Golden State
Listen to Whitey & Watkins from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. PST, Monday through Friday, right here on Sactown Sports 1140. Subscribe to their podcast here.
Upcoming San Francisco 49ers Schedule
- Thursday, September 21st vs. New York Giants – 5:15 PM PST
- Sunday, October 1st vs. Arizona Cardinals – 1:25 PM PST
- Sunday, October 8th vs. San Francisco 49ers – 5:20 PM PST
- Sunday, October 15th @Cleveland Browns – 10:00 AM PST
- Monday, October 23rd @ Minnesota Vikings – 5:15 PM PST