Gary Gerould praises Sasha Vezenkov’s basketball IQ in Kings debut
Oct 9, 2023, 10:23 AM
(Photo by Tolga Adanali/Euroleague Basketball via Getty Images)
Gary Gerould, radio voice of the Sacramento Kings, joined The Carmichael Dave Show with Jason Ross Monday after returning from Vancouver for the Sacramento Kings preseason debut.
The Toronto Raptors dismantled the Kings en route to a 112-99 victory. Gerould dissected the Kings’ unfortunate shooting struggles, the growth Keegan Murray displayed, the debut of Sasha Vezenkov in royal purple, and more.
“I was one of the last people off the plane when we got in Sacramento, and Coach [Mike Brown] was still at his computer intently, just locked in, making notes, and doing things,” Gary Gerould said. “I’m sure that there are going to be a lot of things passed on today when the club gets together and reviews last night’s ball game.”
Murray, who is going into his second NBA season, impressed in his first showing of the 2023-24 season. Gerould noted his willingness to drive to the basket and finish in various ways, including a pair of dunks and a floater.
There was also excitement surrounding reigning EuroLeague MVP Sasha Vezenkov, and the radio host liked what he saw early on.
“First of all, to De’Aaron Fox’s point during training camp, he’s a world-class shooter, there’s no question,” Gerould said to Jason Ross. “The amazing, quick release and spot-on targeting from deep, that was expected, but it was also great to see it come to fruition. But, more than that, his basketball IQ, which I’ve heard so many people talk about, and just his instincts for the game and his 12 years of European, international experience coming to the front on a couple of great cuts to the basket… He’s going to be a great contributor to any Sacramento Kings’ success.”
Gerould also dived into Davion Mitchell’s encouraging shooting performance, struggles from range from the rest of the roster, JaVale McGee’s up-and-down moments, and more.
Sacramento Kings 2023-24 Preseason Schedule
- Wednesday, October 11th – Sacramento Kings @ Los Angeles Lakers – 7 PM PST (in Anaheim, CA)
- Sunday, October 15th – Sacramento Kings vs. Golden State Warriors – 7 PM PST
- Wednesday, October 18th – Sacramento Kings @ Golden State Warriors – 7 PM PST
- Thursday, October 19th – Sacramento Kings vs. Utah Jazz – 7 PM PST
Sacramento Kings 2023-24 Regular Season Schedule
- Tuesday, October 24th – NBA regular season begins
- Wednesday, October 25th – Sacramento Kings @ Utah Jazz – 6 PM (Season Opener)
- Friday, October 27th – Sacramento Kings vs. Golden State Warriors – 7 PM (Home Opener)