NBA salary cap expert isn’t buying Harrison Barnes leaving Sacramento
Jun 29, 2023, 11:36 AM | Updated: Jun 30, 2023, 12:27 pm
(Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)
NBA insider for Spotrac, Keith Smith, joined Whitey Gleason and Chris Watkins Thursday to discuss the upcoming 2023 NBA free agency class, if he expects a lot of moves to be made and where the Kings stand with Harrison Barnes. Plus, does Sacramento make a big move over the next week?
All that and more on Chris & Co.
“I never bought in fully that they changed to being able to create cap space meant that Harrison Barnes was 100% out,” Smith said on the show Thursday. “I always thought there was a chance that what the Kings would do is, ‘hey, let’s negotiate an extension, or maybe if this has to carry into free agency, let’s get you back, but at a lower number than the one that you’re on.’ Gives us a little bit more flexibility and we can use that [cap space] either to sign another player, renegotiate and extend Domantas Sabonis…But I never really bought into the idea that Harrison Barnes was going to be out of the picture in Sacramento.”
Additional topics discussed include:
- Is Harrison Barnes likely to re-sign with the Kings?
- Could Kyle Kuzma be an option in Sacramento?
- Who are the major players of free agency this year?
- How will the new CBA dictate the market?
- Could Brook Lopez make his way to the 916?
- Keith gives the latest on the Kyrie Irving saga
- Are there surprise moves on the way this week?
- Could a blockbuster trade happen?
Listen to Chris & Co. from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. PST, Monday through Friday right here on Sactown Sports 1140. Subscribe to their podcast here. Thank you for reading SactownSports.com. Follow us on Twitter, and be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel.